Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Morning Person

I get into work at 7AM. First thing I do is make myself a pot of coffee that's a little bit more tolerable than what everyone else around here drinks. One pack regular, one pack decaf - half brew. It isn't the best but it does the job and I can actually taste it. People complained my coffee was too strong when they'd accidentally take from my pot. I just printed up a sign to put on the pump that said STRONG COFFEE and now it seems like I have a lot more than just two cups in there.

My desk is covered with papers of no real importance. A few phone numbers I didn't care to write the name above and now I don't wanna throw them away out of fear I'll remember why I wrote them down in the first place. Paper clips, rubber bands, stamps. None of that makes it my desk and you probably wouldn't know it was any single person's at all if it didn't have a little drawing I did on it or my coffee mug. To my left is my old desk that actually had a wall I could put some personality on. It's still there with a couple of cut out comic strips that I thought were clever enough to take the time to clip with scissors. And there's a calendar my buddy Tony gave me that if people got too close they might not like the things he wrote in it.

I get in here and sit every Monday through Friday until about 2PM with a view of my work load. It piles up throughout the day and with every additional sheet of paper or folder I grit my teeth a little harder. Let out an audible sigh here or there and couple it with "Shit!" or "Fuck!" or "I really don't wanna be here right now". People just giggle. Apparently, they think I'm being cute. Let them think that. The dumb shit in my head would make them view me differently and that's fine. Either way, as long as they leave me alone we can have a good working relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment