Monday, October 15, 2012

Black Awareness

It'll be 2 years in January that I've been at this job. Funny thing is that there's still people here that don't know my name. I don't know their names either so I guess we're even. I guess they just think I'm "the guy who got hit by the car" or at best "The Runner". It has an action movie sense to it but I just enjoy the anonymity. It keeps me under the radar and that's where I want to be.

The fact that we never take the time to exchange pleasantries aside from a casual head nod or "good morning" helps me retain a level of awareness. I'm a very visible reminder of class distinction for the people in the office. I've got co-workers that enjoy a fantasy life where they consider themselves equals to the people on the upper floors. We operate out of the basement. Similar to steerage. It's not hard to realize where we stand if only they would take off their rose colored glasses of self importance. We're fucking expendable.

I've been told that a few have complained that when I come in from outside I'm sweating and sometimes I smell. That's good. I need that level of physicality in my work. The fact that I can offend others with a noticeable level of how much I'm busting my ass is a bonus for me. Thinking of it as if my work ethic is repellent to them puts a smile on my face. It's probably not best practices to do things out of spite but it helps get me through the day.

My buddy Booker says I'm the blackest person in my office. There's more than a few reasons for it but I like to believe it. The little bit of fear that makes them lock their doors when they're driving shows through when we interact.

No comments:

Post a Comment